Thursday, March 5, 2009

keys+katelyn=not good


this is how i spent my saturday afternoon. how about you?

  • drop tyler off at medical college for some good study time. plan to pick him up later.
  • head out to joanns for some fun, crafty shopping.
  • get to joanns quickly. awesome. find a killer parking spot. even better.
  • look back at katelyn. she reaches for car keys. give her a big smile and hand 'em right over.
  • get out of car. go to her side of the car.
  • try the door handle. hmm. the door's stuck. that's weird.
  • try the door handle again. realize the door is not stuck. it's locked. realize how dumb i am for handing katelyn the keys with a lock button on them.
  • start pounding window. she'll eventually press the unlock button right?
  • pray, pray, pray.
  • call mom. don't want to bug tyler. eventually call tyler and admit my mistake.
  • more pounding on the window. katelyn is now pressing the lock button over and over. causes loud honking noise everytime it is pressed. wrong button!
  • a kind lady sees me, asks if i need help. heads inside to call police.
  • police come, try to break in. no luck.
  • tyler gets a hold of our good friend, marissa. she jumps into her car, drives to my house, begs downstair neighbors to let her in and grabs our spare car keys. she heads out to joanns.
  • police take over pounding the window.
  • katelyn thinks this is a game. laughing at police pounding on window.
  • more laughing from katelyn.
  • marissa arrives. yeah! open car and get katelyn out. she couldn't car less.
  • police leave...laughing. i'm sure if i get pulled over by them i'm good.
  • go inside and shop with marissa. phew.

thanks again marissa! we couldn't have done it without you.

18 comments:

Chemene said...

Isn't it funny that kids never realize the severity of situations like that? I would have gone crazy. Luckily Marissa saved the day. I bet you learned your lesson, right?

lisa said...

That is crazy. I'm glad she was in good I'm always scared I am going to do that.

Sally said...

Sorry to say, but that is hilarious! Glad she had fun though!

Shamaine said...

What a day, I probably would have been freaking out too. Good thing you had a spare key.

kristina said...

What a great story! I can totally relate- Conner locked me out of the house a couple months ago. Not a good thing. Its a good thing they are so cute huh?! They can get away with a lot more!!

Becca said...

That is so funny! Scary and emotional at the time, I'm sure, but this is bound to be one of those stories you look back on and laugh.

Kaitlin said...

that's hilarious! in a i-hope-it-never-happens-to-me sort of a way. i didn't know you were drivin' around an audi these days...pretty sweet!

Jason & Natashia McLean Family said...

Oh man lol.... I have almost done that sooo many times1 Yikes!

Jill said...

oh.my.word.

what a funny story!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Oh Brooke, I am SO sorry! I've had nightmares about things like that happening! It totally ruins the whole day! Especially when you're on a crafty run! Sounds like everyone was good natured about it...I'm glad you're on good terms with those police...
I love that she thought it was hilarious...it reminds me of two little people I know very well...must be the age. Suddenly everything is funny when I'm trying to get them to give me something or do something.

Emily Gibbons said...

Isn't it weird how much kids like keys? I'm glad everything turned out ok! By the way, is your daughter helping advertise Kiddie Kandids now? I swear it's her on their ad I just got in the mail that goes out to all of Utah. Did you take her to get her picture taken in a pink shirt and a big red bow? Just curious! :)

Joy Hollingshaus said...

Oh. My. Heavens!! This will be a GREAT story when she grows up!!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh that is the funniest thing I have heard all week! At least it wasn't 100 degrees outside or anything. :)

Jen said...

That is a great story! I don't know what I would've done!

Linde said...

That is so funny and such a good post!! I love how Kaitlyn thinks it is a game and keeps pushing the lock button!!

Great memory to look back on.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, i hope its ok to laugh now! i would have been crying. im glad it worked out and im glad Katelyn had a good time.

karla said...

At least you got in some good shopping at the end, right?

The Mayfield Farm said...

that is pretty funny!