Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Badger State

We have officially made it to Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. After a fairly easy drive across six states, we finallly made it! These pictures only show Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Wyoming. Nebraska by far was the best state to enter. There is a HUGE statue of Jesus greeting us as we drove by. Kind of random considering we were in the middle of no where. We weren't quite sure what to think of it.


Before we left for our 21 hour drive, we were planning for the worst with Katelyn. We imagined a screaming child desperate to get out of her car seat the whole way there. Surprisingly, she did very well. She slept a lot of the trip, played with toys and ate whatever we handed her from the front seat. Now, I'm not going to lie and say it was perfect the whole way. She had her moments, but we survived. We purposefully planned to take three days to make the drive so we could take some longer stops to let Katelyn get out and move. This seemed to help.


Left to Right: Katelyn chillin' on the floor of our car during a gas stop, visiting Winter Quarters, Nebraska and the Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple, Katelyn swinging.

At one point of the drive, I heard Katelyn giggling in her carseat. I looked back only to find that Katelyn had somehow reached the Circus Animal cookies from the seat next to her and was happily digging in the bag eating to her hearts content.

Katelyn chillin' on the air matress with Daddy

As we were getting closer to Wisconsin, we receieved a call from our moving company saying that our stuff, which was originally supposed to be there on Friday, was actually going to get there on Monday. That meant we wouldn't have any of our stuff for four days. We decided to tough it out in our new place. So we went and bought an air matress, blankets, towels and some hand soap. Everything we would need to make it.

We are happy to be here and have adjusted well so far to some changes around the Wisconsin area such as: the accents-beg instead of bag and getting lost in this city over and over again! We think the other members/students know what it feels like to move far away from family and friends. They have quickly taken us under their wings and we feel very grateful for that!

8 comments:

abby said...

i'm so glad things went well and you made it there safe. you are missed!!!

Shamaine said...

I'm glad you made it okay, and everything is going well. I've been to Winter Quarters too...the Temple is very pretty (but what Temple isn't I guess) :) I was sad to here you stopped by before leaving and we were gone. :( We are moving soon. It actually happened fast, but I am excited to move and live closer to my family. I miss you guys!

Joy Hollingshaus said...

You made it!! A big congratulations---the drive is LONG. We leave in a few days to do the DRIVE. UGH!! Are you going to be at Camille's wedding? I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the reception. Remember, when you need a break, come visit me!!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

I'm so happy that the drive wasn't too painful! I can't believe that you didn't have your stuff for 4 days! AHHHH! Thank goodness you can buy hand soap at the store! What a modern miracle! MIxed with an air mattress...you probably didn't want your stuff to come :)
Happy Wisconsin!!!

Elena said...

I'm glad you guys made it well. I bet it was one long ride to little Katelyn! I can't believe you had to wait for your stuff for 4 days!But everything turned out well, that is great!

Justin said...

Yay, you made it! Don't forget us. At some point in time we would like a post card and cheese. Thank you. :)

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad you guys are in your new place now. Sounds like an adventure. We sure miss you guys. Dallin misses his girlfriend. Maybe when they're older they can be pen pals. :) Good luck with everything! I'm excited to see you again around Christmas time. And you will be able to see our baby girl!

Jason & Natashia McLean Family said...

yeah! Glad you made it safely! Stinks about the moving company coming late! Sounds like your taken care of!