living in a new place you expect to encounter some new people and some new places to visit. well, in our place we have also unexpectedly been greeted by these new little guys.
i happened to walk into the room both times and did a very good job of screaming for tyler's help.
after doing a little research i found out that these critters are called house centipedes. wikipedia claims they are considered beneficial because they eat household pests. Yeah right, they are the household pest! I guess that they can bite, but their bite is not harmful in anyway.
last night katelyn woke up at 4:00 a.m. crying. we helped her calm down, got her a drink of milk and put her back in her crib. as i was laying her back down, my finger brushed something bumpy underneath her back. i reached back under and felt it again, so i quickly grabbed it and threw it at the wall. when i got back to bed i mentioned to tyler that i thought i had just thrown a bug from katelyn's crib, and i was pretty sure it was one of those centipede things. of course, after that i couldn't get to sleep. i kept worrying that katelyn must have been bitten.
in the morning i went to investigate to see if i could find that bug. i was looking in the area i threw it and looked down and saw one of katelyn's hair elastics that wasn't there last night. i picked it up and rubbed it between my fingers and realized that my "bug" was actually one of katelyn's hair elastics! Oops. at least she walked away without any bites from the hair elastic.
18 comments:
Here's a solution...We had those in Minnesota too, and I would spray them with spray starch and then vacuum them up. The starch immobilizes all those sick legs so you can catch them. Otherwise, they're hard to kill. So sorry about the centipedes. They're really scary.
OH, YUCK! I hate bugs! Your are super brave though, if I would have thought it was in one of my boys beds I would have turned on all the lights, searched their bed and mine and I probably would have sent Jason to get some household bug spray (no matter the time) :) yeah, it's probably good your not so dramatic! Funny story, thanks for sharing!
oh man we get those here as well. the first time we saw one with its legs flying every where we both screamed so loud! i'm glad they're not at all harmful, just disgusting.
EW!!! I hate centipedes!!! Thankfully, we don't have them here in Vegas. Scorpions, on the other hand, are in abundance. Luckily we have yet to get one in the new place, but our old apartment had lots.
yuck to the bugs, yuck to waking up at 4:00! If those things eat cockroaches, I'll take 'em.
I hope that you're feeling more moved in and Tyler's adjusting (and you're adjusting) to the wonderful world of Wisconsin and medical school!!!!
lol! that is funny about the elastics, I just finished (corssing my fingers) getting ridof ants! I hate bugs!
Starch. I'm going to try it out. I'll try anything. They're so disgusting.
Creepy...I would hate to have those in my house. In Vancouver, I've seen a lot of misquito eaters! I'm not sure if Utah has them, but if they did I never saw any. They're supposed to be good right, because they eat misquito's but they look like daddy-long leg spiders except with wings. Yuck!
Oh, I am so NOT looking forward to finding one of those in my house! I've been discovering new nasty bugs in Wisconsin too. We have little teeny spiders that make webs like crazy! I swear I'm vacuuming several times a day to keep up with the little buggers. I've had a blast looking at your blog! Your family pictures are awesome and I'm way excited you are into photography too! I felt bad I had to miss play group this week. Hopefully we can get our girls together sometime soon.
What a cute little walker Katelyn is! I'm glad she didn't get bitten by one of those ugly bugs. That is a pretty funny story. :) I LOVE your family photos! Who took them? Every picture is so beautiful, and oh my goodness Katelyn's eyes...out of this world!!!
I'm glad it was a hair tie and not a bug. That would freak me out. Are you liking your new town and school.
well i found your blog. haha. i hope you don't mind. those bugs are GHASTLY. i hope they don't live in mayfair manor :)
i would have put you on my friends list 3 times if it were socially acceptable. but i see that we didn't quite make your friends list...i guess i should take a hint
That was so funny! I know exactly what you mean about bugs...even if they are "helpful" I don't care for them.
I'm glad it was an elastic and not a bug!
that is so funny!!! I've seen some of those centipedes in my house too. Luckily, James doesn't have any hair elastics for me to confuse them with!
Naasssttyy! Well you've been brave despite these many encounters! Yuck! So just this week @ Monaco Court we've had a TON of spiders in our house vs before when we've never had ANY! So weird. Maybe it's nasty bug season?
This was the funniest post! I laughed outloud that the thing you threw was a hair tie. So funny! But so glad you're a protective mom!
Post a Comment