Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trip

Tyler and I took a trip out to Wisconsin the first weekend in June to find a place to live. We kept busy the whole time searching for the perfect place. We were told that the best way to find a place in this area was to cruise through the neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" signs. There were plenty of signs around, so that was very helpful advice.
While searching, we spent a lot of time doing this...

I used to hate the grid system, but after spending plenty of time looking at this map, I realized the value of it.

We saw a lot of fun things while driving around the Milwaukee area, including these statues in someones front yard.



And this sign in another front yard. These signs were actually quite popular in this area. We were even told that if we liked Bush it was best to keep our mouths shut about him. We definitely were not in Utah anymore!



After lots of searching we realized that housing in Wisconsin was SO different from the Orem/Provo area. We were going to have to start eliminating some items off of our 'must have' list. For instace, a dishwasher, big closets, and a nice big counter in the bathroom.


In the end we found a great duplex to live in. The kitchen is reasonably sized, but it also has a dining room. The bedrooms are hardwood floors and there is a ton of storgae space (Every place we looked at had TONS of storage space in the basement). We have a garage to park in (yea-this will be nice when we have like 14 inches of snow). And, we actually found a place with a walk-in closet! Those are very rare in this area.


After our long search, we headed to Chicago to have some fun and celebrate our 3 year anniversary. We got to see the musical Wicked, which we absolutely loved.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys found what you were looking for. I'm even more glad that you got to see Wicked!!! It's amazing, isn't it? Well we'll miss you guys!

Shamaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shamaine said...

I'm also glad you found something! I'm not looking forward to when we have to start looking for a new place. We'll miss you guys when you move, but I'm looking forward to hearing all about your 'new' life on your blog! :) Keep in touch!

Tiffany said...

I've heard WI is beautiful. I'm sure you'll find a lot of things to like about it. I'm jealous you got to see Wicked. I really want to see it.

Can you guys come over this Sunday after church for a dinner/game night?

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

How fun to get away to see WICKED!
I can't believe your house search. I think that would be SO intimidating to just drive around and find somewhere! It sounds like you did a great job though! We'd like to come up and visit you sometime! We'd also like to see you before you move!!!! When are you going! I hope not TOO soon!
Happy Anniversary!

lisa said...

Wow the time is coming up fast to when you leave. We should do something before you guys head off.

Jason & Natashia McLean Family said...

How fuuny the front lawn furniture was so funny! Wicked... thtas so awesome!

jodie said...

Way to go! It is so scary trying to find a place to live in a completely foreign place. That's great that you got to see Wicked in Chicago too...isn't is awesome?!

The Clarks said...

Brad and i have wanted to see Wicked for so long!! LUCKY! Isn't it fun looking for places? It ended up being a little stressful too! Brad and i found a townhome we loved. We applied to get it. We should know really soon if we get it. So crazy to be moving!

Heidi said...

Glad you found a place! We saw Wicked in March and loved it, so I decided I would read the book. I stopped after, like, 30 pages because it was so disturbing. Amazing how a great musical like that could come from a freakish book.

karla said...

I'm so glad you got to see Wicked - we loved seeing it in LA last year.